At SGH Martineau we set the very highest standard of expertise when undertaking all aspects of private wealth work.
Our expertise includes:
- strategic estate planning, dealing with many vital tax issues, including detailed knowledge of the exemptions, reliefs and various tax planning schemes available - including in relation to Deeds of Variation;
- preparation of wills, with a particular emphasis on tailoring a will to meet current needs and minimising inheritance tax;
- probate and estate administration, the handling of (sometimes sensitive) family issues, advising on the terms of wills or the application of intestacy rules as well as preparing for and obtaining grants of representation;
- trust creation and administration, in which we are able to advise on the drafting and construction of trusts, the preparation and execution of ancillary documents and the duties and liabilities of trustees. We also act as trustees and deal with general administration. We currently administer continuing trusts having a combined value in excess of £200 million;
- elderly client advice, including preparation of Lasting Powers of Attorneys, advance directives and matters relating to the Court of Protection and the Office of the Public Guardian;
- charities, a team of charity lawyers which looks after institutional and private charities with total assets in excess of £250 million. Ecclesiastical law is a particular specialisation. We are the sole legal representative for, and Hugh Carslake is the Registrar of, the Anglican Diocese of Birmingham;
- advice on international aspects of trusts and estates, which may include complex cross border issues. We can draw on the expertise of our associates within Multilaw (an international organisation of legal practices), State Law Resources (a group of legal practices based in North America) and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (“STEP”);
- rural business, providing support to the diverse needs of individuals living in the countryside, Landed Estates, and businesses operating in the rural community; and
- notarial, Hugh Carslake is a Notary Public and is qualified to attest deeds or other documents in order to render them authentic, especially for use abroad.
- has over 170 years combined experience in this area;
- has been ranked No. 1 in the Legal 500 for 12 successive years: "SGH Martineau has an outstanding reputation within this field";
- provides a comprehensive and effective service that will recognise and achieve your goals; and
- has members of STEP, the Law Society Probate Section, Solicitors for the Elderly (”SFE”), the Country Land Owners and Business Association (“CLA”) and the Agricultural Law Association (“ALA”).
Please contact Mary Kaye on email@example.com or 0870 763 1687 for more information or advice.